CHAPTER 2 LESSON 5
You know that nouns name people, places, things, and ideas. They can be singular or plural. Nouns can also show possession.
§ A possessive noun is a noun that names who or what has something.
The carpenter has a hammer. The carpenter's hammer . . .
Mr. Cooper has a bulldozer. Mr. Cooper's bulldozer . . .
Charles has a tractor. Charles's tractor . . .
§ Add an apostrophe and s ('s) to form the possessive of most singular nouns.
You can make most plural nouns possessive by adding an apostrophe after the s ending.
Four carpenters have hammers. Four carpenters' hammers . .
Many workers have helmets. Many workers' helmets . . .
§ Add an apostrophe (') to form the possessive of plural nouns that end with s.
Some plural nouns do not end with s. Notice how the possessive for these nouns is formed.
Five women have uniforms. Five women's uniforms . . .
Three children have books. Three children's books . . .
§ Add an apostrophe and s ('s) to form the possessive of plural nouns that do not end with s.
Find examples of possessive nouns in these sentences. Are the nouns singular or plural?
A woman found James's shovel in the children's playground.
We found a worker's hammer near the Senior Citizens' Corner.
The neighbors' money paid for the children's swings.
Talk About It
Find the possessive nouns in these sentences. Tell whether each possessive noun is singular or plural.
1. The children's playground at the park just opened.
2. The mayor's assistant made a speech.
3. The assistant praised the citizens' work.
4. People's efforts made this a beautiful park.
Write each possessive noun that you find in each sentence. Write singular noun if the noun is singular and plural noun if it is plural.
2. The builders' work ended in 1943.
3. The designers' plans included a dome for the roof.
4. President Jefferson's statue stands in the memorial room.
5. Many children's classes visit this monument each year.
Write each sentence. Decide whether the noun in parentheses should be singular or plural. Use the correct possessive form of the word.
6. Our __ plan called for a Building Day. (principal)
7. The ten ___ speeches dealt with building houses. (students)
8. ____ speech told about building sand castles. (Cass)
9. This kind of building requires a_____ hands, (child)
10. ____ speech was about building snow houses. (Robert)
11. A ____ main needs are warm mittens and snow. (builder)
12. _____ speech won the prize. (Dennis)
13. He described a____ home. (beaver)
14. He also talked about _______ nests. (birds)