CHECK THE DAILY SCHEDULE FOR VOCABULARY AND SPELLING, FOLLOW FOR EACH DAY
1. absolutely 11. hasten
2. beginning 12. ignorance
3. category 13. lengthen
4. constitution 14. maneuver
5. definite 15. naturally
6. efficiency 16. obstacle
7. elephant 17. paid
8. fatal 18. readily
9. geranium 19. witticism
10. glorious 20. zealous
1. demeanor (di-men' ar)
n. outward manner; conduct. Paul wanted Timothy's demeanor to be such that no one would despise his
2. infectious (in-fek' shas)
adj. readily communicated, capable of being easily spread. Her infectious giggling soon had everyone
3. irrepressible (ir' i-pres' i-bal)
adj. impossible to restrain or control. Because of her deep compassion for others, Mrs. McCoy felt an
irrepressible urge to care for the three homeless children.
4. lodicrous (ioo' di-kras)
adj. laughable because of absurdity or incongruity; ridiculous. It is ludicrous for any Christian to think
that he can fight Satan in his own strength,
5. perforation (pur' fa-ra' shan)
n. a hole or series of holes made by piercing. If torn along the perforation, the stamps will come apart
6. satiate (sa' she-at)
v. to oversatisfy an appetite or desire; glut, Hank's appetite was satiated after he had eaten three large
7. sullen (sul ' an)
adj. gloomy; dismal; resentfuUy silent, Because he could not eat what he wanted, the child was sullen
and would not eat anything.
8. sumptuous (sump' choo.as)
adj. extravagantly rich, luxurious, or splendid. Unlike the poor beggar Lazarus, the rich man had
sumptuous meals every day.
9. timidity (ti-mid' i-te)
n. lack of boldness or self-confidence; shyness. The soldier showed no timidity as he quickly volunteered
for the dangerous mission.
10. utilize (u' til- iz)
v. to make good use of. We must utilize our skills in order to keep them.
From the list of vocabulary words, choose the one that best completes each of the following sentences. Record your answers in your vocabulary journal.
1. We gaped in unbelief at the
_________________________meal laid out before us.
2. We did not know how to open the package, because there were no ___________marks.
3. Because of the ____________________ disease, the family had to be quarantined.
4. Though she is known for her, ______________________she successfully carried out the part of
Lady Macbeth in the school performance.
5. The doctor's grave ______________ indicated that he had been unable to save the dying man.
6. In order to develop fully, a country must __________________ its natural resources.
7. Carl tried to smother his ___________________urge to laugh.
8. The invaders, ________________ with many victories, returned home.
9. The King was stirred from his ________________mood by the court jester.
10. That man could go to the moon was once considered ______________________.
1. destroy, neglect, waste
2. scanty, poor
3. starve, restrain
4. serious, believable
5. fearlessness, aggressiveness
6. cheerful, friendly